For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS MARGAREE 230
A product of Halifax Shipyards Ltd., Margaree was commissioned on 05 Oct 1957 for services on the west coast. She was named after the Margaree River, Cape Breton Island, NS. On 16 Jan 1958 Margaree, in company with Cayuga 218, Crescent 226, Fraser 233 and, Skeena 207 departed Esquimalt, BC, for a Far Eastern Training cruise, returning on 02 Apr 1958. She began her conversion to a DDH at Victoria Machinery Depot on 25 Sep 1964. Re-commissioned on 15 Oct 1965, she returned to Halifax. On 01 Apr 1979, some 200 nautical miles south of Halifax, using gunfire she sank the bow section of the tanker Kurdistan, which had been towed there for that purpose after breaking in half on 15 Mar 1979 south of Cabot Strait. On 12 Mar 1980, HMCS Margaree and HMCS Huron rescued the crew of the stricken M.V. Maurice Desgagnes. Margaree commenced her DELEX refit at Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal, on 05 May 1980, being towed to HMC Dockyard, Halifax when it appeared she might become ice-bound before its completion the following year. In later years she was several times Canada's representative in Standing Naval Force Atlantic (SNFL). In Aug 1991 Margaree took part in a re-enactment of the signing of the Atlantic Charter at Argentia, Nfld. Paid off on 02 May 1992, she was sold to Global Shipping Co., Tampa, Fl. for $193,393.00, departed Halifax under to of the Russian Tug Afanasiy for India to be broken up on 14 Mar 1994.