For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS STETTLER K681 / 311
Built by Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal, Que, Stettler was commissioned 07 May 1944, at Montreal. She arrived at Halifax on 28 May 1944 then carried out workups in Bermuda in Jul 1944. On her return to Halifax she was assigned to EG 16. On 07 Mar 1945, she left for Londonderry, EG 16's new base, and was thereafter employed in U.K. waters except for two round trips to Gibraltar in May and Jun 1945. She left 'Derry for home on 16 Jun 1945, the last Canadian warship to do so, and began tropicalization refit at Shelburne. Work was suspended in Aug 1945 and the ship was paid off 09 Nov 1945. She was sold but later recovered and converted to a Prestonian class ocean escort, being re-commissioned on 27 Feb 1954. In the Spring of 1966, Stettler participate in exercise Maple Spring along with HMCS Grilse and HMCS St. Croix, with port visits along the east coast of South American. She subsequently moved to the west coast, and was finally paid off there on 31 Aug 1966. She was purchased by Capital Iron and Metal, Victoria, BC, in 1967 to be broken up. Shortly after purchase the price of scrap metal plummeted and she was not broken up late 1971, early 1972.