For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
Then HC 190 (1943)
Then Alfred & Emily
The only sailing vessel among the thirteen ships serving in the RCN on the eve of the Second World War, this three-masted schooner was built at Meteghan, Nova Scotia, and commissioned on 25 Oct 1937 as a training ship. With war imminent, VENTURE was paid off on 01 Sep 1939 to become an accommodation vessel at Halifax for ratings on the staff of the Rear Admiral, 3rd Battleship Squadron, RN. In Nov 1941, she was commissioned as guard ship at Tuft’s Cove, at the entrance to Bedford Basin. She gave up her name on 13 May 1943 to the former yacht Seaborn and thereafter was known as Harbour Craft 190. She served as Harbour Hopper 190 until she was sold to a Halifax firm on 10 Dec 1945. Upon being sold she was renamed to Alfred & Emily and served as a sealing vessel and a coal carrier, which she served as until she was lost in an explosion/fire off of Bellburns, Newfoundland on 03 Oct 1951.