For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS LA HULLOISE K668 / 305
Commissioned at Montreal on 20 May 1944, La Hulloise arrived at Halifax in Jun 1944. She proceeded to Bermuda in Jul 1944 to work up, and on returning was assigned to EG 16 at Halifax. In Oct 1944 she was re-assigned to EG 25, and transferred with it to Londonderry in Nov 1944. She spent the remainder of the war in U.K. waters, based variously at 'Derry and Rosyth. On 07 Mar 1945, with Strathadam and Thetford Mines, she took part in sinking U 1302 in St. George's Channel. Late in May 1945 she sailed for Canada to undergo tropicalization refit at Saint John. Work was completed 19 Oct 1945, but the Pacific war had ended and she was paid off at Halifax on 06 Dec 1945. When she was re-commissioned for cadet and new entry training in 1949 her Co, LCdr Jette, was also SO Reserve Fleet East Coast. In Jun 1953 HMCS Swansea was part of the Canadian Squadron that attended the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II Fleet Review at Spithead. On 23 Nov 1953 La Hulloise was paid off for conversion to a Prestonian class ocean escort. She was commissioned as such on 09 Oct 1957. In Apr 1963, 12 RCN ships, Algonquin, Micmac, Cayuga, St. Croix, Terra Nova, Kootenay, Swansea, La Hulloise, Buckingham, Cape Scott, CNAV Bluethroat and CNAV St. Charles, took part in NATO Exercise New Broom Eleven, an exercise designed to test convoy protection tactics (click here to see the newspaper article). La Hulloise was paid off on 16 Jul 1965 and broken up at La Spezia, Italy, in 1966.
RCN Memories: Don't Bend the Bollards
Photos and Documents