For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS MALPEQUE J148 / 186
Built at North Vancouver Ship Repairs Ltd., she was commissioned at Vancouver on 04 Aug 1941. Malpeque left for Halifax on 13 Sep 1941, arriving on 19 Oct 1941. She was briefly assigned to Sydney Force, then to Newfoundland Force, with which she served until 19 Feb 1944, when, with Caraquet, Cowichan and Vegreville, sailed for the U.K. via the Azores for invasion duties. Arriving at Plymouth on 13 Mar 1944, she was assigned to the 31st Minesweeping Flotilla, and was present on D-Day. She proceeded to Canada in Apr 1945, for refit at Liverpool, N.S., but returned to the U.K. in June and remained there until Sep 1945. She then returned home and was paid off on 09 Oct 1945, to reserve at Shelburne. Taken to Sorel in 1946 and placed in strategic reserve, she was re-acquired by the RCN in 1952 and laid up at Sydney. Never re-commissioned, she was sold for scrap in Feb 1959.