For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS MULGRAVE J313
Built at Port Arthur, Ont., she was commissioned there on 04 Nov 1942. She arrived at Halifax on 30 Nov 1942 and was assigned to Halifax Force for the first quarter of 1943. She then transferred to WLEF, becoming a member of newly created EG W-2 in Jun 1943. On 18 Feb 1944, with Bayfield, Georgian and Thunder, she left Halifax for Plymouth via the Azores. On 29 Feb 1944, when entering Horta, MULGRAVE suffered grounding damage and had to be towed to Greenock, Scotland. After repairs at Ardrossan she finally made Plymouth on 24 Apr 1944 to commence training and exercises. She was temporarily assigned to the 32nd Minesweeping Flotilla, then in Jun 1944 to the 31st, with which she was present on D-Day. On 08 Oct 1944, the unlucky MULGRAVE was damaged by a ground mine near le Havre and had to be beached. On 03 Nov 1944 she left Le Havre in tow for Portsmouth, where she was declared a constructive total loss. Placed in reserve at Falmouth in Jan 1945, with a reduced complement, she was formally paid off on 07 Jun 1945 and scrapped at Llanelly, Wales, two years later.