For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS BAYFIELD J08
Former HMS BAYFIELD
Named for the village of Bayfield, N.S., she was built at Vancouver for the RN but transferred to the RCN for manning, and commissioned on 26 Feb 1942. After working up, Bayfield joined Esquimalt Force in May 1942 but was transferred to Prince Rupert Force in Nov 1942, returning to Esquimalt in Mar 1943, for re-assignment to the east coast. She left Esquimalt on 18 Mar 1943, arriving at Halifax on 30 Apr 1943 and, after a major refit at Baltimore, Md., joined Halifax force until ordered to the U.K. for invasion duties. On 18 Feb 1944, with Georgian, Mulgrave and Thunder, she left Halifax for Plymouth via the Azores, arriving on 07 Mar 1944. Allocated to the 31st Minesweeping Flotilla on 07 Mar 1944, her CO, Lt, Pierce was the SO of the flotilla. She was present on D-Day, and she remained with Plymouth Command until paid off on 24 Sep 1945. Returned to the RN, she was placed in reserve at Sheerness until 1948, when she was broken up at Gateshead.