For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS FORT WILLIAM J311 / 195
Then Turkish Navy Vessel TCG BODRAM (1957)
Commissioned at Port Arthur on 25 Aug 1942, Fort William arrived at Halifax on 24 Sep 1942 with a good many defects, and did not commence working up until mid-Oct 1942. A month late she was assigned to Halifax Force for local convoys. On 11 Jan 1943, she suffered considerable damage in collision with the government vessel Lisgar at Halifax, and was under repair there for a month. In Jun 1943, she was transferred to Newfoundland Force. She returned to Halifax in Feb 1944, for a short refit, and on 20 Feb 1944 left with Blairmore, Milltown and Minas for Plymouth via the Azores, arriving on 08 Mar 1944. Assigned to the 31st Minesweeping Flotilla, she was present on D-Day. Fort William refitted at St. John's Mar 1945, re-joining the 31st Flotilla in Jul 1945 and remaining until 21 Sep 1945, when she left Plymouth for Canada. She was paid off on 23 Oct 1945, at Sydney and was placed in strategic reserve at Sorel in 1946. Re-acquired in Jun 1951, and extensively modernized, she lay in reserve at Sydney until 29 Nov 1957, when she was transferred to the Turkish Navy and re-named Bodrum. She was removed from service in 1971 and broken up.