For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS WALLACEBURG J336 / 172
Then BNS GEORGES LECOINTE F901 (1959)
Built by Port Arthur Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Port Arthur, she was commissioned at there on 18 Nov 1943. She arrived at Halifax on 13 Dec 1943, and after working up was assigned to EG W-8, Western Escort Force, in Feb 1944. In Apr 1944, Wallaceburg was transferred to EG W-6 as Senior Officer's ship but returned in December to W-8. During Jul and Aug 1945, she was attached to HMCS Cornwallis for training, then placed in reserve, first at Sydney and then at Halifax. She was paid off on 07 Oct 1946, but re-commissioned on 01 Nov 1950 for cadet training. Wallaceburg spent the summers of 1956 and 1957 on the Great Lakes and was paid off on 24 Sep 1957. On 31 July 1959, she was transferred to the Belgian Navy, to serve as Georges Lecointe until she was discarded in 1969.