For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS SAULT STE. MARIE J334 / 176
Commissioned at Port Arthur on 24 Jun 1943, this was the first Algerine class ship to join the RCN. Originally intended to be named The Soo, she was renamed owing to objections from her namesake city. Sault Ste. Marie arrived at Halifax on 08 Aug 1943, and proceeded to Bermuda for workups in Sep 1943. On her return she joined EG W-9 of Western Escort Force, serving as Senior Officer's ship until mid-Apr 1945. She then transferred as S.O. to W-7 until the group was disbanded in Jun 1945. After a short period in reserve at Sydney she was ordered to the west coast, arriving at Esquimalt on 12 Dec 1945. She was paid off into reserve on 12 Jan 1946, but re-commissioned for reserve training on 07 May 1949. In July 1950, HMCS Sault Ste Marie was in the San Diego area on minesweeping exercise with the USN. After an enjoyable port visit she departed San Francisco and headed on into gale force winds up to 68 knots. For three days, all hatches were battened down, and everyone stayed below decks. At one point she only made 3 nautical miles in a 15-hour period hour period, before she settled down to following seas just 200 miles south of Esquimalt. Then she had a pea soup fog the rest of the way home. She returned to the east coast in mid-Dec 1955, and spent the summers of 1956 to 1958 on the Great Lakes. She was paid off on 01 Oct 1958, and broken up in 1960 at Sorel.