For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS SANS PEUR Z02 / Z52
Former Yacht TRENORA
This large yacht, the property of the Duke of Sutherland, was requisitioned in 1939 at Esquimalt and commissioned for patrol service on 05 Mar 1940. From May 1942, Sans Peur served the dual function of patrol vessel and training vessel, but after Nov 1942 was used for training alone. Originally chartered, the ship was purchased in 1943. Following an extensive refit at Esquimalt, she left on 24 Jan 1944 for Halifax, arriving late in Feb 1944. In Mar 1945 she was sent to HMCS Cornwallis, where she carried out A/S training in conjunction with RN submarines, and after Feb 1946, she was a training ship at Halifax. Paid off on 31 Jan 1947, she was sold to Maple Leaf Steamships of Montreal, but on resale the following year she reverted, under Panamanian flag, to her original name, Trenona. Later refitted by her builders at Southampton, she resumed her career as a yacht for Italian owners, but by 1975 was in use as VIP accommodation at Okinawa, Japan.