For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS RESTIGOUCHE H00
Former HMS COMET
Built by the Naval Dockyard, Portsmouth, UK, she was commissioned on 02 Jun 1932 as HMS Comet. She was purchased at the same time as Ottawa and commissioned as Restigouche at Chatham, U.K., on 15 Jun 1938. Like her sister, she arrived at Esquimalt 07 Nov 1938, and left for Halifax 15 Nov 1939. She performed local escort duties from that port until 24 May 1940, when she left for Plymouth, Upon arriving there on 31 May 1940 Restigouche was assigned to Western Approaches Command. On 11 Jun 1940, Restigouche took part in the evacuation of St. Valery and came under shore fire. While assisting in the evacuation of the French ports she rescued survivors of Fraser. She left Liverpool at the end of August for a brief refit at Halifax, returning to the U.K. in Jan 1941. In Jun 1941, "Rustyguts" was allocated to Newfoundland Command, and in Apr 1943, became a member of EG C-4, in the interval toiling ceaselessly as a mid-ocean escort. On 13 Dec 1941, she suffered storm damage en route to join convoy ON.44, and extensive repairs were carried out at Greenock. She was allocated to EG 12 in May 1944, for invasion duties, including D-Day, and afterward carried out Channel and Biscay patrols from her base at Plymouth. HMCS Restigouche participated in operation "Dredger" against German escort vessels at the U-boat meeting points off Brest and southward. During the night of 5/6 Jul the 12th EG, comprising of Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan, Skeena and Restigouche, attacked 3 patrol boats off Brest: V715 was sunk but not before hitting Qu'Appelle and Saskatchewan many times with small calibre gunfire. She returned to Canada in Sep 1944, for a major refit at Saint John, N.B. and Halifax, and upon completion proceeded to Bermuda for working up. Returning to Halifax on 14 Feb 1945, she performed various local duties, and after VE-Day was employed for three months bringing home military personnel from Newfoundland. Paid off on 05 Oct 1945, she was sold for scrap in 1945 to Foundation Maritime and was broken up in Halifax the next year.