For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS / CFB CORNWALLIS
Commissioned in 1942 in Halifax to train recruits for the RCN for WW II it was later moved to its location on the shores of the Bay of Fundy. After the war, HMCS Cornwallis was declared surplus and closed down on 28 February 1946. Re-commissioned in November 1948, HMCS Cornwallis was again the recruit training centre for the RCN and later the Canadian Forces. In 1966 the base was re-named CFB Cornwallis. The based remained the main recruiting centre for the CF until it was shut down in 1994 and training moved to St. Jean, Quebec.