For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS ETTRICK K254
Named after a river in Scotland, HMS Ettrick was commissioned on 11 Jul 1943, as an RN ship and assigned to EG C-1, a Canadian escort group. On 29 Jan 1944, while undergoing a refit in Halifax, she was transferred to the RCN, and on completion of the refit on 06 May 1944 she was assigned to EG C-3. She arrived in Bermuda on 30 Sep 1944 for a month's working-up, and on her return made two round trips to Londonderry with EG C-3, before being transferred in October to EG 27, Halifax. She was employed locally until VE-Day, and on 30 May 1945, returned to the RN at Southampton. She was then converted to a combined operations HQ ship, though never employed as such, and in Apr 1946, was laid up at Harwich. In 1953 she was broken up at Grays, Essex.
Photos and Documents