For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS BROCKVILLE J270
Then R.C.M.P. Vessel MacLeod MP 15 (1945)
Then HMCS BROCKVILLE 178 (1951)
Built at Sorel, Que., she was commissioned there on 19 Sep 1942. She arrived at Halifax on 20 Oct 1942 in need of two weeks' repairs, having grounded at Rimouski in en route. After working up, she was assigned briefly to WLEF and then to Halifax Force. In Mar 1943 she was transferred back to WLEF and when that force was divided into escort groups in Jun 1943, she became a member of EG W-3. In May 1944, Brockville returned to Sydney Force, remaining with it until Jun 1945. She had two wartime refits: one at Dalhousie, N.B., lasting seven weeks in Aug and Sep 1943; the other a three-month refit at Lunenburg at the end of 1944, followed by workups in Bermuda in Mar 1945. On 28 Sep 1945, she was paid off at Halifax, transferred to the marine section of the RCMP and renamed Macleod. Brockville was re-acquired by the RCN in 1950 and re-commissioned on 05 Apr 1951. After modernization at Lauzon in 1952 she was assigned to Point Edward naval base at Sydney and later transferred to the west coast. She was paid off into reserve at Esquimalt on 31 Oct 1958, and broken up three years later.