For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS BARRIE K138
Then Argentine Merchant Vessel GASESTADO (1947)
The Argentine Navy Survey Vessel CAPITAN CANEPA (1957)
Commissioned at Montreal on 12 May 1941, Barrie arrived at Halifax on 24 May 1941 and was initially employed as a local escort out of Sydney. On 05 Sep 1941 she left Sydney to join convoy SC.43 for Iceland, but defects necessitated her sailing on to Belfast for two months' refit. She served as a mid-ocean escort until May 1942, when she was assigned to WLEF on her return from Londonderry with ON.91, and she remained with this force until the end of the war. When individual escort groups were formed by WLEF in Jun 1943, she became a member of EG W-1, and continued so except for brief service with EG W-8 in the fall of 1944. In mid-Mar 1944, she commenced a long refit, including fo'c's'le extension, at Liverpool, N.S., working up at Bermuda afterward in August. On 19 May 1945, she left New York with HX.357, her last convoy, and was paid off on 26 Jun 1945 at Sorel. Sold for merchant service in 1947, she became the Argentinean Gasestado but was taken over by the Argentinean Navy in 1957. Converted to a hydrographic survey vessel she was renamed Capitan Canepa. One of Capitan Canepa most important tasks was a survey in 1967 to delineate the contested territorial waters between Argentina, Uruguay, and Brazil. The survey quite possibly averted war. After more than 30 years service to two navies, she was paid off and broken up in 1972.