For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS WHITETHROAT M03
Then CNAV WHITETHROAT AGH-113 / AGOR-113
A controlled minelayer converted from an Isles class trawler, Whitethroat, named after a small bird known as the European Warbler. Built at Beverley, Yorkshire, she was commissioned there on 07 Dec 1944. She made her passage to Canada with convoy ONS.42 in Feb 1945 and arrived in Halifax on 10 Mar 1945 to replace HMCS Sankaty. Until Jul 1945 she escorted western Atlantic convoys and then she began dismantling of harbour defences until 06 May 1946, when she was paid off to become a CNAV, and was employed in 1947 making repairs to submarine telegraph cables. In 1950, she carried out oceanography work for the Naval Research Establishment, but on 17 Apr 1951, was re-commissioned to provide mine and loop-laying training in the Korean conflict. She remained with Seaward Defence until 30 Sep 1954, when she again became a CNAV. Transferred to the west coast in Mar 1955, was laid up in Sydney until a crew arrived to take her around. She arrived in Esquimalt ion 20 Apr 1956 and was attached to the Pacific Naval laboratory in 1956. Declared surplus in 1966, she wad moored at the docks at Seaward Defence in Colwood while awaiting disposal. Sold to Davis Trading & Supply Ltd., Vancouver, BC. in 1967 she was to be converted to a fishing vessel. This conversion proved impractical and she was scrapped at Tacoma Washing soon thereafter.