For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS ST CATHARINES K325
Then CCG Weather Ship ST CATHARINES (1952)
Built by Yarrows Ltd., Esquimalt, BC, she was commissioned on 31 Jul 1943, at Esquimalt. Departing Esquimalt soon after, she arrived at Halifax on 04 Oct 1943 and in Nov 1943 sailed for the U.K. as a member of EG C-2. She was continuously employed on convoy duty until Oct 1944, and from Feb to Sep 1944 she was Senior Officer's ship. With six other escorts of convoy HX.280, she took part in the destruction of U-744 on 06 Mar 1944. After refitting at Shelburne from Oct to Dec, 1944, she went to Bermuda to work up and, on her return to Halifax, commenced tropicalization refit there. By the time this was completed in Aug 1945, the war was over and the ship was paid off on 18 Nov 1945. In 1947 she was sold to Marine Industries Ltd. and laid up at Sorel. Later re-sold to Morton Engineering & Drydock Co., Quebec City, she was re-acquired in 1950 and converted to a weather ship. Transferred to the Department of Transport, she was taken round to the west coast to be stationed in the North Pacific as of July, 1952. Replaced in March, 1967, by CGS Vancouver, she was broken Japan in 1968.
Photos and Documents