For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS SAINT JOHN K456
Built by Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal, Que., she was commissioned on 13 Dec 1943, at Montreal. She arrived at Halifax on 20 Dec 1943 and in Jan 1944, was sent to Bermuda to work up. On her return in Feb 1944 she was based for a short time at Halifax, but in Apr 1944 she was assigned to EG 9 in Londonderry. She departed Halifax on 28/29 Apr 1944 and joined C 3 as escort for convoy HX 289 for her transit to Londonderry, joining EG 9 on her arrival on 12 May 1944. She was present on D-Day. On 01 Sep 1944, she and Swansea sank U 247 off Land's End, and on 16 Feb 1945, Saint John destroyed U 309 in Moray Firth. In Dec 1944, she escorted convoys JW.62 and RA.62 on the North Russia run, to and from Kola Inlet. She arrived at Cardiff for repairs on 27 Feb 1945, and, when these were completed in Apr 1945, proceeded home for tropicalization refit at Saint John, from May to Oct 1945. She was paid off 27 Nov 1945, at Halifax and placed in reserve in Bedford Basin until sold and broken up at Sydney, NS in 1947.
The History of HMCS Saint John K456 - From the diary of Cable Freeman