For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS CANSO J21
Former HMS CANSO
Built for the RN at North Vancouver, she was laid down and launched as HMS Canso. Transferred to the RCN on completion, she was commissioned at Vancouver on 06 Mar 1942 as HMCS Canso. After working up, she was assigned to Esquimalt Force from May 1942 to Jul 1943, when nominated for service in the Atlantic. She left Esquimalt on 08 Jul 1943, arriving at Halifax on 19 Aug 1943, and was allocated to Halifax Force. On 21 Feb 1944, with Guysborough, Kenora, and Wasaga, she sailed from Halifax via the Azores for Plymouth, arriving on 08 Mar 1944. She was allocated in turn to the 32nd, 16th and 31st Minesweeping Flotillas, and was on hand on D-Day as part of the 16th. In Aug 1944 she returned briefly to Canada for a refit at Saint John, N.B., and in November resumed her task of clearing German Minefields. She was paid off on 24 Sep 1945, and returned to the RN at Sheerness, to be broken up at Sunderland in 1948.