For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS TORONTO K538 / 319
Then HNoMS GARM (1956)
Then HNoMS VALKYRIEN (1965)
Laid down as HMCS Giffard, she was renamed and commissioned on 06 May 1944, at LÚvis as HMCS Toronto. She arrived at Halifax on 28 May 1944 leaving on 18 Jun 1944 for a month's working-up in Bermuda. In Aug 1944 Toronto was allocated to EG 16, Halifax, but for the next few weeks operated principally from Sydney. Following repairs in Nov 1944 she joined Halifax Force and was employed locally until May 1945, when she began five months' training duty at HMCS Cornwallis. Paid off on 27 Nov 1945, she was placed in reserve at Shelburne, but was re-commissioned on 26 Mar 1953, after conversion to a Prestonian class ocean escort. She was paid off for the last time on 14 Apr 1956, having been lent to the Norwegian Navy, which renamed her HNoMS Garm. She was permanently transferred in 1959, and re-classed in 1965 as a torpedo boat depot ship - simultaneously renamed HNoMS Valkyrien, she served a further 13 years before being disposed of.