For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS STRATHROY K455
Then Chilean naval Vessel CHIPANA (1946)
Built at Midland, Ont, she was commissioned there on 20 Nov 1944. Strathroy arrived at Halifax in Dec 1944 and immediately escorted her first convoy, HF.147, to Saint John, N.B. She arrived there on 18 Dec 1944 for completion of fitting-out that could not be done at the builder's prior to freeze-up. She then carried out workups in Bermuda, and on completing these joined Halifax Force in Apr 1945, for local escort duties. On 12 Jul 1945 she was paid off and laid up at Sorel for disposal. She was purchased in 1946 by the Chilean Navy and renamed Chipana; serving until paid off on 30 Sep 1966. She was broken up in 1969.