For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS NEW WESTMINSTER K228
Built at Victoria, she was commissioned there ON 31 Jan 1942, and assigned to Esquimalt Force until the threat of Japanese invasion had abated. Ordered to Halifax to release an east-coast corvette for Operation "Torch" service, she arrived there on 13 Oct 1942, a month after leaving Esquimalt. Assigned to WLEF, she operated on the "triangle run" until May 1943, when she began a major refit at Sydney. This refit included fo'c's'le extension and was not completed until 10 Dec 1943. The ship was then made a part of EG C-5, and in Jul 1944, sailed with HXS.300, the largest convoy of the war. She left Londonderry on 14 Dec 1944, for the last time, returning home to refit at Saint John until early Mar 1945. Allocated to Sydney Force until the end of hostilities, she was paid off at Sorel on 21 Jun 1945, and in 1947 sold for commercial purposes - became the mercantile Elisa in 1950; Portoviejo in 1952 and Azura in 1954. Sold in 1966 for breaking up at Tampa, Florida, U.S.A.
Photos and Documents (below)