For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS COLLINGWOOD K180
The first RCN corvette to enter service, Collingwood, was commissioned on 09 Nov 1940, at Collingwood, arrived at Halifax 04 Dec 1940, and joined Halifax Force in Jan 1941. She sailed on 23 May 1941 as one of the seven corvettes that were charter members of Newfoundland Command, and in Jun 1941 commenced six months' employment as an escort between St. John's and Iceland. Early in Dec 1941 she began a two-month refit at Halifax, following which she resumed mid-ocean escort duties between St. John's and Londonderry. These duties continued, with time off for three minor refits, until the end of 1944. From Dec 1942, onward she was a member of EG C-4. Collingwood was involved in one major convoy battle, that of HX.133 in Jun 1941, when eight ships were torpedoed and six sunk. During her refit at New York City from Oct to Dec 1943, she received her extended fo'c's'le. She left Londonderry on 16 Nov 1944, for the last time, refitted briefly at Liverpool, N.S., then went to Digby to serve as a training ship from Apr to Jun 1945. She was paid off on 23 Jul 1945 and laid up at Sorel. She was sold in Jul 1950 and broken up by Steel Co. of Canada, Hamilton, Ont., the same year.