For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS COBALT K124
Then Dutch Whale-Catcher JOHANNA W. VINKE (1953)
Built at Port Arthur and commissioned there on 25 Nov 1940, Cobalt was taken to Halifax in advance of completion to beat the St. Lawrence freeze-up, arriving 24 Dec 1940. Completed early in Jan 1941, she worked up and joined Halifax Force, but left on 23 May 1941 with the other six corvettes and first formed NEF. For the next six months she operated as an ocean escort between St. John's and Iceland, proceeding in mid-Nov 1941 to Liverpool, N.S., for three moths' refit. Following completion she made two round trips to Londonderry before being assigned in May 1942, to WLEF, with which she was to spend the balance of the war. She served with EG W-6 from Jun 1943; with W-5 from Apr 1944; and with W-7 from Feb 1945. During the second of two other extensive refits at Liverpool, N.S., from Apr to 20 Jul 1944, her fo'c's'le was lengthened. She was paid off at Sorel on 17 Jun 1945, and subsequently sold for conversion to a whale-catcher, entering service in 1953 as the Dutch Johanna W. Vinke. She was broken up in South Africa in 1966.