For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS CARIBOU S12 / Z25
Built in 1928 by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich, USA. Her specification were: Length: 142 ft, Beam: 23 ft, Draught: 9 ft, Speed: 11 kts, Complement: 5 officers, 35 men, Armament: 1-12pdr. Commissioned on 27 May 1940, at Halifax, Caribou left the following day for Quebec City for conversion and arming. On completion of this, in mid-Nov 1940, she returned to Halifax and was employed until Aug 1941, as guard ship at the entrance to Bedford Basin. Early in Oct 1941, following refit, she had her first taste of patrol duty, but a serious galley fire on 19 Nov 1941 put her out of action until Feb 1942, while repairs were made at Lunenburg. In Mar 1942 she was transferred to saint John, N.B. Force. On 31 Jul 1942 she arrived at Halifax for survey and was declared unfit for active patrol duty. Relegated to training service at HMCS Cornwallis, she had been transferred to Saint John in the same capacity by Sep 1943 and, in Apr 1944, to Digby again. She remained there until the war's end and was paid off on 20 Jul 1945 and sold for commercial use the following year.