For Posterity's Sake         

A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project

HMCS NADEN

(RCN Barracks, Esquimalt)

 

The Naval shore facility at Esquimalt was commissioned as HMCS Naden on September 3, 1922. It was named for facility's Depot Ship, HMCS Naden, a small wooden schooner built in 1913 that previously had been used for coastal surveys and cadet training. During the Second World War, Naden became the primary Naval Training Centre for Western Canada. When CFB Esquimalt came into being on 1 Apr 1966, HMCS Naden became part of the base.

 

 

New Entry / Trade Course Photos

 

Photos and Documents - General (below)

 

Armistice Day Guard of Honour with the King's Colours

HMCS Naden - 1931

From the collection of Thomas Carson

Courtesy of June Copley

 

Naden sailors around Victoria / Esquimalt - 1931

 

     

 

(1) Sig Thomas Carson at Beacon Hill Park  (2) Jack Crawford overlooking Yarrows Dock  (3) Ed (Farmer) Ellis by the Victoria Causeway

 

From the collection of Thomas Carson

Courtesy of June Copley

 

MacFarlane, Burkman and T.H. Carson on the signal bridge at HMCS Naden reading Star Weekly - 1932

From the collection of Thomas Carson

Courtesy of June Copley

First R.C.N. Band, Spring 1932, HMCS Naden

From the collection of Thomas Carson

Courtesy of June Copley

Staff of the Communications Department at HMCS Naden, Spring 1932

 

Crawford, Macfarlane, Carroll, Christie, Hibbert, Williams, Hewitt, Bamfield, Lipscombe, Girdlestone, Taylor, Walker, Waters, Carver, Dunbar, Cox, C.W. Wilson

 

From the collection of Thomas Carson

Courtesy of June Copley

Christmas menu, HMCS Naden, Dec 1943

From the collection of Rodney Carson

Courtesy of Chris Carson

Signal towers at HMCS Naden, Esquimalt

From the collection of Ray T. Cardy

Courtesy of Dennis Cardy

Swimming pool at HMCS Naden 1948-49

Courtesy of Gordon Howard

Canteen at HMCS Naden 1948-49

Courtesy of Gordon Howard

Seaman's mess, HMCS Naden 1948-49

Courtesy of Gordon Howard

Wet Canteen, HMCS Naden 1948-49

Courtesy of Gordon Howard

Saturday Divisions, HMCS Naden 1949

Courtesy of Gordon Howard

Morning Prayer, Saturday Divisions, HMCS Naden 1949

Courtesy of Gordon Howard

Administrative Bldg, HMCS Naden circa 1948-1948

Courtesy of Gordon Howard

Protestant Chapel, HMCS Naden circa 1948-1949

Courtesy of Gordon Howard

 

Aerial view of HMCS Naden and HMC Dockyard Esquimalt

From the collection of James Madden

Courtesy of Brian McCormick

George (Cowboy) Watt, mounting a different type of horse at the Naden gym in the 1960s

From the collection of George (Cowboy) Watt

Courtesy of Christopher Watt

Radar Operations & Technical School, Naden, CFB Esquimalt, Jun 1970

Courtesy of Richard Larcheveque

 Boat House/Seamanship Training Unit (located behind old Club 44), Naden, CFB Esquimalt, Jun 1970

(HMCS Provider 508 can be seen way in the background)

Courtesy of Richard Larcheveque

Administrative Bldg (left), Nelles Block (Accommodations bldg) (centre) and the Drill Shed (right) - Naden, CFB Esquimalt, Sep 2005

Courtesy of Richard Larcheveque

 

Comm School, Naden, CFB Esquimalt 1970 (top) & 2005 (bottom)

Courtesy of Richard Larcheveque

Fleet School Divisions at HMCS Nadan, Esquimalt

Courtesy of Erin Brownlee

 

 

HOME PAGE     SHIP INDEX      CONTACT