For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS WESTMOUNT J318 / 187
Then Turkish Naval Vessel BORNOVA (1958)
Built at Lauzon, Que, she was commissioned at Toronto on 15 Sep 1942. Westmount arrived at Halifax on 10 Oct 1942 and proceeded to Pictou to work up. Following this, she underwent engine repairs at Halifax from 20 Nov 1942 to 02 Feb 1943. She was then assigned to Halifax Local Defence Force and, later, to Halifax Force. In May 1943, she was transferred to Sydney Force, but returned to Halifax Force in Jan 1944. In Feb 1945, she commenced a major refit at Lunenburg and, after this completed late in Apr 1945, proceeded to Bermuda to work up. Upon her return to Halifax on 30 May 1945 she was assigned to miscellaneous duties until paid off at Sydney on 13 Oct 1945, and laid up at Shelburne. In 1946 she was placed in strategic reserve at Sorel until re-acquired by the RCN in 1951. On 29 Mar 1958, she was transferred to the Turkish Navy, and served Bornova until 1972.