For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS WASKESIU K330
Then Indian Pilot Vessel HOOGHLY (1950)
The first frigate completed on the west coast, Waskesiu was commissioned at Victoria on 16 Jun 1943, and left for Halifax on 08 Jul. She worked up in Bermuda the following month, returning to Halifax on 11 Sep 1943, and late in Oct 1943 left for Londonderry to join EG 5, re-numbered EG 6 on 21 Nov 1943. Waskesiu severed chiefly in U.K. waters, but early in 1944 supported Gibraltar and Sierra Leone convoys. On 24 Feb 1944, while escort to SC.153, she sank U 257, and in Apr 1944 made a trip to North Russia to bring back convoy RA.59. On 28 Apr 1944, Waskesiu , Grou K518, Outremont K322 and Cape Breton K350 departed Kola Inlet with Convoy RA.59; arriving at Loch Ewe on 06 May 1944. She was present on D-Day. On 14 Sep 1944 she left 'Derry with ONF.253 for Canada, and soon after arriving began an extensive refit at Shelburne. On its completion in Mar 1945, she proceeded to Bermuda to work up, following which she sailed for Londonderry via Horta. She left 'Derry for Canada late in May 1945, proceeding to Esquimalt in Jun 1945 to commence tropicalization refit, but work suspended in Aug 1945 and she was paid off into reserve on 29 Jan 1946. She was sold to the Indian government in 1947 for conversion to a pilot vessel, and re-named Hooghly in 1950.