For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS SUDBURY K162
Then Salvage Tug SUDBURY (1949)
Built at Kingston, Ont., she was commissioned on 15 Oct 1941, at Montreal. Sudbury arrived at Halifax on 26 Oct 1941. She joined Sydney Force as local escort to ocean convoys but in Jan 1942, joined Newfoundland Command, making one round trip to Londonderry. On her return she transferred to the newly formed WLEF and in June 1942 to Halifax Tanker Escort Force. In the following three months she made two round trips to Trinidad and one to Aruba, escorting tankers both ways. In Sep 1942 Sudbury was placed under U.S. control, escorting New York-Guantanamo convoys. She arrived at Liverpool, N.S., on 26 Dec 1942, for two months' refit, worked up at Halifax and then joined WLEF, in Jun 1943, becoming a member of EG W-9. In Sep 1943 she was lent to EG C-5 for her second transatlantic trip, afterward resuming service with W-9 until New Year's Day, 1944, when she left for the west coast. She arrived at Esquimalt on 03 Feb 1944, and later that month commenced refit, including fo'c's'le extension, at Vancouver. On completion on 10 May 1944, she joined Esquimalt Force for the duration of the war, being paid off on 28 Aug 1945, at Esquimalt. After the war Sudbury was sold and converted for use as a salvage tug, entering service in 1949 under her original name. She was broken up at Victoria in 1967.