For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS MEON K269
Named after an English river, HMS Meon was commissioned on 31 Dec 1943 at Glasgow and sailed on 16 Jan 1944, with convoy ON.220 for Canada. Transferred to the RCN, she was commissioned in the RCN at Halifax on 07 Feb 1944, and in Apr 1944 worked up in St. Margaret's Bay. In May 1944 she was assigned to EG 9 and sailed with convoy HXM.289 to join EG 9 in Londonderry. For the next five months she was employed in U.K. coastal waters, and was present on D-Day. She was then transferred to the EG 27, Halifax, as Senior Officer's ship, arriving there on 19 Oct 1944. Employed locally until 31 Mar 1945, she then left Halifax to join convoy HX.347 on passage to Britain, and was returned to the RN at Southampton on 23 Apr 1945. In 1946 HMS Meon joined the reserve fleet and remained at Harwich until 1952. She then saw active service in the Suez campaign of 1956, and with the Amphibious Warfare Squadron in the Persian Gulf, before being paid off in 1965. On 14 May 1966 HMS Meon (L369) arrived at Hughes Bolckow, Blyth for breaking up.
Photos and Documents