For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS LOCKEPORT J100
Former HMS LOCKEPORT
Built for the RN by North Vancouver Ship Repairs Ltd., at Vancouver but transferred to the RCN for manning. She was commissioned on 27 May 1942, and served with Esquimalt Force until 17 March 1943, when she left for Halifax. On her arrival there on 30 Apr 1943 she was assigned briefly to WLEF and, in Jun 1943, to Halifax Force. In Nov and Dec 1943, she was lent to Newfoundland Force but was withdrawn owing to engine trouble. On 09 Jan 1944, while en route to Baltimore for refit, her engines broke down in a storm, and she made 190 miles under improvised sail before being towed the rest of the way to her destination. Upon her return to Halifax in Apr 1944, Lockeport was ordered to Bermuda to work up, and on the homeward journey she escorted the boats of the 78th Motor Launch Flotilla. Returning to Sydney Force in May 1944, she was frequently an escort to the Port-aux-Basques/Sydney ferry. She left Canada on 27 May 1945, for the U.K., and was returned to the RN at Sheerness on 02 Jul 1945, to be broken up three years later at Dorkin, Gateshead.