For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS LEASIDE K492
Former HMS WALMER CASTLE
Then Union Steamship Co. Vessel COQUITLAM (1946)
Then GLACIER QUEEN (1950)
Laid down and launched as HMS Walmer Castle K460, she was transferred to the RCN and commissioned on 21 Aug 1944, at Middlesbrough as HMCS Leaside K492. Following workups at Tobermory in Sep 1944 Leaside arrived at Londonderry early in Oct 1944 to join EG C-8, then forming. She sailed on 22 Oct 1944 to meet ON.261, her first convoy, and served the rest of the war as an ocean escort. On 11 May 1945, HMCS Leaside K492, HMCS Edmundston K106 and HMCS Poundmaker K675 departed Londonderry for the last time as escort for convoy ONS.50. Leaside left St. John's in Jun 1945 for Esquimalt, where she was paid off for disposal on 16 Nov 1945. Sold in 1946 to the Union Steamship Co., Vancouver, she was converted to a coastal passenger vessel and renamed Coquitlam. In 1950 she was renamed Glacier Queen. In 1970 she stripped in anticipation of becoming a floating restaurant but the plans for the restaurant fell thought and she was left as a hulk. The hulk sank in Cook Inlet, Alaska, on 08 Nov 1978, but was raised and towed to sea and scuttled in Jan 1979.
Convoys escorted during WW II