For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS KAMLOOPS K176
Built by Victoria Machinery Depot Co. Ltd., Victoria, BC, she was commissioned at Victoria on 17 Mar 1941. Kamloops arrived at Halifax on 19 Jun 1941 and was assigned to Halifax Force, serving as a local escort until the end of the year. In Jan 1942, she commenced a year's duty as A/S/ training ship at Halifax and Pictou. In mid-Feb 1943, she completed a three-month refit at Liverpool, N.S., and after working up at Halifax, joined WLEF in Mar 1943. She transferred in Jun 1943 to EG C-2, Newfoundland Command, and served with this group as an ocean escort for the remainder of the war. In Sep 1943, she was with combined convoy ON.202/ONS.18, which lost six merchant ships and three of its escort. On 28 Sep 1943, she sailed as escort to SC.143. The convoy was attacked by Wolfpack Rossbach. One merchant ship, S.S. Yorkmar was sunk, and one escort, the Polish destroyer Orkan was sunk. Three U-boats were sunk in the attacks on SC.143. In mid-Dec 1943 she began a refit at Charlottetown, completed on 25 Apr 1944, in the course of which her fo'c's'le was extended. Following workups in Bermuda in Jun 1945 she rejoined EG C-2. She was paid off at Sorel on 27 Jun 1945, and sold her for scrap that October.