For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS GUELPH K687
Then Merchant Vessel Guelph (1945)
Then Merchant Vessel Burfin (1956)
Laid down as HMCS Sea Cliff K687 on 29 May 1943, she was built by the Collingwood Shipyards, Collingwood, Ont. Renamed HMCS Guelph ON 15 Jul 1943, she was launched on 20 Dec 1943. Guelph was commissioned at Toronto on 09 May 1944. She was presented with a black Cocker Spaniel from a local Guelph, Ontario breeder. Their Mascot was named Rags. Guelph arrived at Halifax early in Jun 1944 and left on 02 Jul 1944 escorting the ancient RN submarines P.553 and P.554 to Philadelphia. She then proceeded to Bermuda for workups, leaving there on 02 Aug 1944, for New York, where she joined EG W-3. She served with this group as a local escort until late Sep 1944 when she was transferred to EG C-8 which, although forming in Londonderry, was to be based at St. John's. She made her passage eastward as escort to convoy HFX.310. On her final transatlantic trip she left Belfast on 09 Apr 1945 to be based at Halifax until paid off on 27 Jun 1945 at Sorel. On 02 Oct 1945 she was sold to a New York buyer; retaining her name under Panamanian flag. She was last noted in Lloyd's Register for 1964-65 as Burfin, a name she had borne since 1956.