For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS COMOX J64
Commissioned on 23 Nov 1938, Comox was stationed at Esquimalt at the outbreak of the war, and carried out local patrol duties until Mar 1940, when, with Nootka, she was ordered to the east coast. Arriving at Halifax in Apr 1940, she spent the entire war on local minesweeping duties with Halifax Local Defence Force. On 15 Jan 1945, with Fundy, she rescued survivors from the U.S. liberty ship Martin van Buren, torpedoed off Halifax. She was paid off 27 Jul 1945. Sold for commercial use in 1946 she was converted to a tug, the Sung Ming.
Photos and Documents