For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS BEAVER S10 / Z10
Built by Crescent Shipyard, Elizabeth, NJ, she was the oldest ship of her type when she was commissioned at Halifax and assigned to Halifax Local Defence Force. She was employed much of the time as a radar training ship but served briefly, first with Saint John, N.B. Force and then with Sydney Force, toward the end of 1942, returning to Halifax on 27 Dec 1942 to refit. On 29 Jul 1943, she arrived at Digby to become a training ship for DEMS (Defensively Equipped Merchant Ship) gunners, and was later used for seamanship training. Beaver was paid off on 17 Oct 1944, sold in 1946, and resold ten years late for scrap.