For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
Former NSCM CARTIER / HMCS MONTREAL
Former MONTREAL DIVISION RCNVR
Naval Reserve Unit
In 1923, the first company of the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve was formed in Montreal. The unit was originally housed at 465 Sherbrooke West, a converted private residence, until 1935, and then at a Bell Canada building at 1057 Mountain Street until 1939. In August 1939 the unit moved to 1046 Mountain Street - again another old Bell property, but a much more appropriate one with space for an indoor drill deck. At the outbreak of the Second World War the unit was split into two co-located divisions to accommodate the high recruiting intake: NCSM Cartier for francophones and HMCS Montreal for English speakers. In 1941 the units were merged again as HMCS Montreal and in 1943 this division was moved to 2055 Drummond Street (the building of the old Montreal Winter Club curling rink) and re-commissioned HMCS Donnacona. In 1943, the new name of the Naval Reserve division was chosen to be used as the name of the ship featured in the film Corvette K-225, featuring Randolph Scott and Ella Raines. In 1944, HMCS Donnacona's football team (combined with players from HMCS Hyacinthe, also in Montreal) won the Grey Cup, beating the Hamilton Wildcats 7-6 at the Civic Stadium to bring the cup to Montreal for only the second time. In the summer of 2007, HMCS Donnacona was moved to a new purpose-built federal government facility at 3525 St-Jacques Street shared with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and the Canada Border Services Agency.
Photos and Documents