For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS / HMC NRS / CFS
Former No. 1 Station, HMCS BYTOWN (1943)
HMCS Gloucester was an HFDF station near Ottawa, Ontario. One of her roles was the radio detection and location of German U-boats. Opened in 1943 as No. 1 Station HMCS Bytown, it was re-named HMC NRS Gloucester in 1950, then HMCS Gloucester later the same year. In 1966 the station was re-named CFS Gloucester. It was closed in 1972. During its years of operation, HMCS Gloucester was the training base for Radioman Special/Comm Rsch 291.