For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS TRANSCONA J271
Then RCMP Vessel FRENCH
Built at Sorel and commissioned there on 25 Nov 1942, Transcona was the last Bangor class minesweeper to join the RCN. She arrived at Halifax on 19 Dec 1942, having escorted HMCS Provider en route, and remained in shipyard hands there from 22 Dec 1942 to 06 Mar 1943, owing to engine defects. Following workups at Halifax, she was assigned in Apr 1943, to WLEF and, in June, to newly created EG W-2. In May 1944, she joined Halifax Force, remaining until Jun 1945, after which she performed various local tasks until she was paid off at Sydney on 12 Jun 1945. On 01 Sep 1945 Transcona was transferred to the marine section of the RCMP and renamed French. She was sold for scrap at La Have, N.S, in 1961.
Photos and Documents (below)