For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS STONE TOWN K531
Then CCG Weather Ship STONETOWN (1950)
Commissioned at Montreal on 21 Jul 1944, Stone Town arrived at Halifax on 13 Aug 1944, and on 03 Sep 1944 commenced a month's workups in Bermuda. On her return to Canada she was assigned to newly formed EG C-8 as Senior Officer's ship, and spent the balance of the war as a mid-ocean escort. She sailed from Londonderry on 12 May 1945, as escort to convoy ONS.50 on her way home, and on 22 Jul 1945 commenced tropicalization refit at Lunenburg. Work was stopped on 24 Aug 1945 and the ship was paid off on 13 Nov 1945 at Lunenburg, to be laid up in reserve at Shelburne. Sold to the Department of Transport for a weather ship, she was modified for the purpose at Halifax in 1950, and sailed that Oct 1950 for Esquimalt. In Oct 1957, after 15 years on station in the North Pacific, she was replaced by CGS Quadra and sold in 1968 to a Vancouver buyer, purportedly for conversion to a fish factory ship.