For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS SAMBRO (1941)
Then HMCS VENTURE II 1943 (March)
Then HMCS VENTURE 1943 (May)
Formerly the U.S. yacht Seaborn, she had been acquired in 1939 by Northumberland Ferries Ltd. and renamed Charles A. Dunning just in time to be taken over for naval service and revert to her former name. On 07 Dec 1939, she was commissioned as HMS Seaborn, flagship of the Read Admiral, 3rd Battleship Squadron, Halifax. At the end of Sep 1941, she became HMCS Sambro, depot ship at Halifax for destroyers and auxiliaries, and on 06 Mar 1943 was again renamed Venture II as depot ship for Fairmiles. When the sailing yacht Venture was re-designated on 13 May 1943, H.C. 190, the depot ship dropped her Roman suffix and remained plain Venture until paid off on 14 Jan 1946. Sold for commercial purposes, she still existed in 1953 under Panamanian flag.
Photos and Documents (below)