For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS RIMOUSKI K121
Then PV 12
Commissioned on 26 Apr 1941 at Quebec City, Rimouski arrived at Halifax on 12 May 1941 and was assigned to Newfoundland Command. She shared with Pictou the honour of being one of the first two corvettes to escort an HX convoy (HX.131, in Jun 1941). On 20 Jan 1942, after three months' refit at Halifax, she left St. John's to join convoy SC.65 for Londonderry. After three round trips, she joined WLEF in Jun 1942. In the course of a five-month refit at Liverpool, Nova Scotia, begun 24 Mar 1943, she received her extended fo'c's'le. Upon completion she was assigned to EG C-1, MOEF, transferring to C-3 in Dec 1943. In Apr 1944 while at Londonderry, she was allocated to Western Approaches Command, Greenock, for invasion duties, and left Oban on 31 May 1944 to escort blockships for Normandy. She was employed until Aug 1944 as escort to Channel and coastal convoys, and then returned to Canada, where she served briefly as a Halifax-based training ship. A refit begun at Louisbourg early in Nov 1944 was completed at Liverpool and Halifax in Feb 1945. After working up, she returned to the UK to be based at Milford Haven as a member of EG 41, Plymouth, for the duration of the war. Returning to Canada in Jun 1945 she was paid off at Sorel on 24 Jul and broken up in 1950 at Hamilton.