For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS MONNOW K441
Laid down as HMCS Monnow, named after an English river, she was transferred newly built to the RCN at Bristol on 08 Mar 1944. Following workups at Tobermory in Apr 1944 Monnow joined EG C-2 in May and served with that group until Aug 1944, when she was re-assigned to EG 9, Londonderry. She served throughout her career in U.K. waters except for a round trip to Gibraltar in Oct 1944, and to Kola Inlet with convoys JW.62 and RA.62 in Nov and Dec 1944. On 13 May 1945, she left Greenock to pick up JW.67 for North Russia but was detached the next day to escort surrendered U-boats en route from Trondheim to Loch Eriboll. She left Londonderry on 25 May 1945 for Sheerness, where on 11 Jun 1945 she was paid off and returned to the RN. In Oct 1945 she was sold to the Danish Navy and re-named Holger Danske. Holger Danske is a Danish symbol of the resistance, will, and fighting spirit when Denmark is in danger. She was used as a cadet training ship. As some of the cadets during the (German) occupation were connected to the resistance group "Holger Danske", there were additional reasons to include the freedom fighters' symbol on this ship's badge. She was broken up at Odense, Denmark in 1959. Monnow was one of two among the larger RCN warships that never saw a Canadian port.
The MONNOWLOG - HMCS Monnow's weekly shipboard newspaper
Photos and Documents