For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS HAMILTON I24
Commissioned on 29 Mar 1919 as USS Kalk she served the USN in European waters during 1919, returning to the U.S. to perform training duties for a few months before being laid up at Philadelphia in 1922. Re-commissioned in Jun 1940, she served briefly with the Neutrality Patrol in the Atlantic before being transferred to the RN at Halifax on 23 Sep 1940. Commissioned as HMS Kalk, she was renamed Hamilton (for Hamilton, Bermuda) at St. John's where, on her arrival on 01 Oct 1940, she was damaged in collision with her sister HMS Georgetown. She was taken to Saint John, N.B., for repairs and, while being undocked there on 26 Oct 1940, ran aground and received damage sufficient to lay her up for half a year. She was therefore offered to the RCN, re-commissioned at Saint John as an RCN ship on 06 Jul 1941, and assigned to WLEF. After escorting one convoy, she was in collision with the Netherlands submarine O-15 at Halifax. After repairs she again took up local escort duties, and in Jun 1943, became a member of WLEF's EG W-4. She still had not made a transatlantic passage when she was declared unfit for service 11 March 1943, later tied up as a tender to HMCS Cornwallis in Aug 1943. Paid off on 08 Jun 1945, she was sold for scrap and left Sydney, NS on 6 July 1945 under tow to Baltimore to be broken up.