For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS GANANOQUE J259 / 184
Built at Toronto, she was commissioned there on 08 Nov 1941. Gananoque arrived at Halifax on 23 Nov 1941. She was assigned to Halifax Local Defence Force and subsequently for brief periods to Halifax Force, St. John's Local Defence Force, Gulf Escort Force, and Sydney Force. In Jan 1943, she was assigned to WLEF, returning to Halifax Force in Jul 1943, and to Sydney Force once again in May 1944. During this period she had the distinction of twice refitting at other than Atlantic coast ports: in May 1943, she underwent a six-week refit at Quebec City, and in Jul 1944, an eight-week refit at Charlottetown. In Feb 1945, she was allocated to Newfoundland Force, based at St. John's, until the force was disbanded in Jun 1945, whereupon she went to Atlantic Coast Command. Gananoque was paid off at Sydney on 13 Oct 1945, and laid up at Shelburne. Placed in strategic reserve at Sorel in 1946, she was re-acquired by the RCN in 1952 but not re-commissioned, and in Feb 1959, she was sold for scrap.
Photos and Documents