For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS DUNDURN Z41
Then CNAV / CFAV DUNDURN AO / AOC / AOTL-502
Commissioned on 25 Nov 1943, at Walkerville, Ont., Dundurn provided warships, patrol craft and coastal outposts on the east coast with fuel. Here specifications were: Displacement: 950 tons, Length: 178 ft 9 in Beam: 33 ft 2 in, Draught: 13 ft, Speed: 10 kts, Complement: 12-24. In the later part of 1945 and most of 1946 she was used to off-load fuel from the escort vessels that were being mothballed. After this job was completed, in November 1946, she was transferred to Esquimalt with the tug Clifton. She arrived in Esquimalt on 29 Dec 1946 and was paid off on 02 Jan 1947 from the RCN to serve as a CNAV. Her duties were various, though primarily used as a inner harbour fuel ship, she sailed in company with the west coast fleet to San Diego on one occasion and on others took supplies up to removed governments outposts on the BC coast. Removed from service on 16 Sep 1996, she was declared surplus on 17 Nov 1995. After a short period of time, she was sold to the Burrard Yacht Club in Vancouver on 08 May 1996 to be used as a floating breakwater.