For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS BURLINGTON J250
Built by Dufferin Shipbuilding Co., Toronto, Ont, she was commissioned at Toronto on 06 Sep 1941, and arrived at Halifax on 30 Sep 1941. After working up, she made Halifax her base, and in Mar 1942, was assigned to WLEF, transferring in May to Gulf Escort Force. Late in Dec 1942 she commenced refitting progressively at Halifax, Lunenburg and Dartmouth. Following completion of the work in May 1943, she worked up at Pictou and was assigned in June to EG W-9 of WLEF. In Feb 1944, she was transferred to Halifax Local Defence Force ,and in Sep 1944 sent to Bermuda for a month's workup. On her return she joined Newfoundland Force, based at St. John's and served there until the Command was disbanded. On 04 Jan 1945, U-1232, commanded by Kapt. Kurt Dobratz, attacked convoy SH-194 off (what is today) Egg Island bell buoy. After torpedoing several ships, the convoy's escort, aided by ships from Halifax, including HMCS Burlington, searched for the U-boat. During the search, HMCS Burlington and ML Q116 collided - holing the Burlington's hull and severely damaging Q116s bow. Following repairs in Halifax Burlington continued to be employed on convoy escort duties. She was only to hunt for one more submarine in early March. On 22 Apr 1945 she once again went for a short refit. By the time it was finished the war with Germany had ended. She then engaged in miscellaneous duties until paid off on 30 Oct 1945, and was sold in 1946 to T. Harris of New Jersey buyer in 1946 and later broken up.