For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS BORDER CITIES J344
Built at Port Arthur, Ont., she was commissioned at there on 18 May 1944. Border Cities arrived at Halifax in mid-Jun 1944, and on 08 Jul 1944 proceeded to Bermuda to work up. Returning to Halifax on 03 Aug 1944, she was assigned to Senior Officer's ship to EG W-2 of WLEF. In Jun 1945, she was assigned to Atlantic Coast Command and, in Aug 1945, placed temporarily in maintenance reserve at Sydney. On 10 Nov 1945 she left, with four sisters, for the west coast, and on 15 Jan 1946, was paid off into reserve at Esquimalt. She was sold for scrap in 1948 and broken up at Victoria soon afterward. Her hulk was scuttled as a breakwater (possibly at Kelsey Bay).
Links - Battle for Convoy BX-141
Photos and Documents (below)