For Posterity's Sake
A Royal Canadian Navy Historical Project
HMCS BATTLEFORD K165
Then ARA LIBERTAD (1946)
Built at Collingwood, Ont., she was launched on 15 Apr 1941. Commissioned at Montreal on 31 Jul 1941, she arrived at Halifax on 04 Aug 1941, remaining there for six weeks while undergoing repairs, radar installation, and workups. Briefly a member of Sydney Force, Battleford transferred to NEW and left Sydney on 28 Nov 1941 to escort convoy SC.57 to Iceland. Returning to Halifax on 07 Jan 1942, she went to Liverpool, N.S., for a refit that kept her idle until the end of Mar 1942. Arriving in the U.K. with a convoy early in May 1942, she completed further repairs at Cardiff in mid-Jun 1942, then carried out workups at Tobermory. From July 1942 to May 1943 she was a member of EG C-1, and in Dec 1942 was escort to convoy ONS.154, which was badly mauled, losing 14 ships. She participated with other RCN escorts in the destruction of U 356 on 27 Dec 1942. Arriving at Halifax on 23 Apr 1943, with her last ocean convoy, ONS.2, she commenced a two-month refit at Liverpool, N.S., joining EG W-4 of WLEF in mid-Jun 1943. Early in Apr 1944, she commenced a long refit at Sydney, including fo'c's'le extension, which was completed 31 Jul 1944, following which she proceeded to Bermuda to work up. Returning to Halifax, she was employed for the balance of the war as a local escort with EG W-3 and was paid off at Sorel 18 Jul 1945. Sold to the Venezuelan Navy in 1946 and renamed Libertad, she was wrecked 12 Apr 1949.